Higher English is completed over one year and is a valuable qualification which is highly regarded by employers and colleges/universities.
Who is the course for?
Entry to the course is at the discretion of the High School but normally pupils will be required to have achieved a grade A-C at National 5 English. Higher English is a demanding course which requires pupils to have a mature and responsible approach to independent study.
Higher Course Overview
In this course, pupils will:
- - Study a range of literature incorporating prose, drama, film and poetry
- - Develop their skills in RUAE (reading for understanding, analysis and evaluation)
- - Take part in at least one detailed spoken interaction (presentation and/or group discussion) using complex language to demonstrate their skills in talking and listening
- - One internal unit (Spoken Language) which will be assessed on an achieved/not achieved basis
- - Externally assessed portfolio of writing comprising two essays (one of creative/personal and the other of discursive/persuasive) 30%
- - External SQA Exam comprising:
- - RUAE (2 passages followed by questions) 30%
- - Scottish Set Text (extract from text studied in class followed by questions) 20%
- - Critical Essay (one to be written on a different text studied in class) 20%
SQA Useful Links