National 5 Biology
The N5 course is equivalent to Credit grade at Standard Grade and an A/B in Intermediate 2.
The course involves 3 units:
Cell Biology: Cell structure and cell division; DNA and protein synthesis; Genetic Engineering; Photosynthesis and Respiration.
Multicellular Organisms: Organ systems; Stem cells,meristems; Control and communication; Reproduction and genetics; Transport systems; Effects of lifestyle choices
Life on Earth: Biodiversity, Energy in Ecosystems; Sampling Techniques; adaptation and Natural Selection; Human Impact on the Environment.
To be successful the following is required:
- At the end of each unit pupils should have achieved a pass in unit assessment.
- Skills which involve selecting, presenting, processing information and making predictions will be assessed.
- An Application of Biology and its effect on the environment and/or society should be described.
- Plan, carry out and write up an experiment in a particular format.
- An assignment is required which will involve research and a presentation. This is worth 25% of overall mark.
- In May, an exam will take place which will cover all three units and is worth 75% of the overall mark.
National 5 Biology ‘How to Pass’ Billy Dickson and Graham Moffat (issued)
National 5 Biology Torrance
Revision / homework
After school club Wednesday