A cordial welcome to the Science and HE Faculty website. Our faculty includes home economics, biology, chemistry, physics and science. Our aim is to provide young people with skills which reach beyond the subject areas; skills in critical thinking, creativity, logical analysis and practical proficiency.
We are an inclusive faculty, with subjects for all abilities and aptitudes. In every class there is a friendly, supportive ethos but with high ambitions for success. Literacy and numeracy, including scientific literacy, are at the heart of all we do.
There are five teaching rooms. There are individual, dedicated laboratories for biology, physics and chemistry, and a fully equipped home economics room. There is also a room modelled as a seminar room, yet with the capability to provide fully serviced science demonstrations.
Science is currently taught for three periods a week in S1 and S2, with home economics taught for two periods a week in S2. All certificate classes enjoy five periods of lessons per week.
P Kitching – principal teacher and teacher of physics and science
M MacLeod – teacher of home economics
N Tabbener – teacher of biology and science
N Moran – teacher of chemistry, biology and science
S Harrison – teacher of chemistry and science
J Redpath – teacher of science and physics
National 3/4 Science
This is an entry level, general science course designed to give pupils a foundation qualification in the subject in its own right, or as a stepping stone to study of a discrete science at National 5 level. It is assessed internally, in four units, and is completed on a pass/fail basis.
National 3/4 Practical Cookery
This entry level subject is, as one would expect, a practical experience and gives pupils a grasp of the skills and understanding necessary to progress in home economics, or as a useful set of life skills in their own right.
The course is internally assessed, in four units, and is completed on a pass/fail basis.
National 5 Biology
National 5 biology provides a broad and challenging course encompassing an understanding of all the essentials of the subject. It is assessed by means of an assignment (20%) and a final exam (80%) in keeping with the other National 5 sciences.
National 5 Chemistry
Chemistry at National 5 level provides a rigorous grounding in the subject. Assessed on the same basis as biology and physics, 20% of the marks are awarded for an independent investigation, and the remaining 80% on a final exam.
National 5 Physics
As with biology and chemistry, assessment is 20%/80% on assignment and exam. The course provides an understanding of the principals and application of physics in a real world context.
National 5 Health and Food Technology
Health and food technology involves a thorough and practical application of theory and best practice in HE. It is assessed with 50% on an independent assignment, and the remaining 50% in a final exam.
Higher Health and Food Technology
A demanding and rigorous course, Higher H&FT is also assessed on a 50%/50% basis with practical-based assignment work held in equal measure as important as performance in the final exam.
Higher physics, in common with the other sciences, takes pupils to the level normally required for university, college or employment requirements. It is a demanding course, suitable only for those who have achieved a minimum grade B at National 5.
The assessment is through an assignment (20%) and final exam (80%).
As with physics (above), assessment for this course is similar in breakdown to the National 5 framework.
Higher Human Biology
This course focuses on the aspects of biology which pertain to humans as species. It is an engaging and demanding course, and as with the above, requires a National 5 pass (in this instance, in biology) at a minimum of grade B. It is also assessed on the 80% exam, 20% assignment basis.
Advanced Higher Courses
These courses are available subject to demand, timetabling capacity, and teacher availability. They take the subjects studied to the highest level possible at school.
There are many opportunities for extra-curricular activities. Each year, trips have taken place to such diverse places as the Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust, a visiting planetarium in Jura, Edinburgh Zoo, and Strathclyde University.
Each subject has support clubs, available with dedicated staff, after school.
Biology – on Mondays
Chemistry – on Tuesdays
Physics – on Mondays
HE – on Tuesdays
Furthermore, an “open door” policy exists throughout the faculty whereby students are encouraged to come and ask for support where and when they need it, on an informal basis.